Monday, July 28, 2008

4 months old

Well, I can't believe my Emma is 4 months old. Time is really going by so fast with her. She is really changing so much lately. She is so much more interactive with us and is such a happy girl. She has discovered her feet and is desperately trying to put them in her mouth. She has recently started sucking her thumb and I think she will continue to do it, which is fine with me b/c I can't nurse her constantly like she wanted to in the beginning and she never took to a paci. She laughs and talks a lot now and is so curious of everyone around her. She has started really trying to grab at toys and of course once she gets something it goes straight for her mouth. We are still doing great nursing, but she tends to like the left side over the right, which if I'm near a pump is not usually a problem. But, if I'm away from home and she refuses to take that side I start to get engorged I start to get a little panicky. Sometimes she will take the right side with no problem, but there are times where she will kick and scream when I'm trying to get her to latch on and if I switch to the other side she is totally fine? Isn't that crazy, I don't remember Aidan doing anything like that. I'm not sure what's going on there? Have any of you other BF moms experienced anything like this?



trying to roll over

my cute chunky monkey!

Emma and her cousin Matti playing

oops I didn't mean to cut her head off in this one!

sitting up with assistance


Here is a video of her laughing at her Nana B. Its a little dark, but so cute!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh, she's getting so chunky! I can't wait to see her again! When I played the video of her laughing, Carter kept looking around for the voices. I think he heard his Nana. :-D

As for the side preference, I've heard that is very common. There is some good advice for handling it (along with some information about what might be causing it) here. That's a great site, btw.

Pam Marion said...

I love the laugh!!!!!!

Try to express a small amount of BM if the breast is too full before nursing. The flow is too much for her to swallow and suck so she will become frustrated.

Love, Aunt Pam

Aidan and Emma said...

Thank you both for your suggestions. I do think the right side has a quicker flow and it is frustrating her when I am too full on that side. I've tried a few things to help and I think its working. I just have to realize she can't nurse on that side if I'm slightly engorged.