Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I worry...

I worry about so many things these days, I'm truly feeling like a mom. I worry that I'm not bonding with Emma the way I should or that I'm not spending enough time with her. But, that's because Aidan is very clingy to me lately and wants my undivided attention which I want to give him, but then I feel guilty for putting Emma down to tend to Aidan. Having two children is definitely a challenge and I love it, but at times it can be very stressful. This is usually in the evening when Emma wants to nurse and Aidan wants me to pay attention to him. Chris does his best to intervene but both of them usually want me, which makes me feel wonderful but I end up being pulled in two directions and not sure what to do. I usually end up going to Aidan because he is the one saying "Mommy, Mommy" and Emma has to wait until I can get to her. I worry that I'm doing the right thing, but like my Mom told my cousin on her blog "Go with your heart" and that's what I'm trying to do. When you have one child it seems so difficult and crazy and you can't imagine having another, then you have your second child and its an even wilder and crazier ride that seems to be a whirlwind at times. I'm so glad I had both my babies close together and I've heard that its tough at first but it will be easier when they are older. We'll see...

Emma has been such a good baby so far. I hate that she has gotten sick from her brother being in daycare, but what can you do. She still seems congested and I'm constantly putting saline up her nose and suctioning. I also put a blanket under one side of her mattress to elevate her and have a humidifier in her room to help her at night. I'm not sure what else to do? How long is she going to be like this, I know the dtr said that colds last longer in babies but this is ridiculous! ugh! Even though she has been snotty and congested she is always in the best mood and she has been the best sleeper, I'm trying not to get used to it b/c i know this will not last, but I usually nurse her on and off for about two hours in the evening, then put her in her crib around 9:30 and she sleeps until 6:00 in the morning, crazy I know! I can't believe she will be 4 months on July 27th. She is such a talker lately. I never remember Aidan making so much noise and babbling like she does. I have a feeling she is going to be a little chatterbox! I also think she "talks" so much b/c she is making sure we know she is around! She has really become aware of her surroundings lately, she smiled at our dog Macy the other day and loves watching her brother and he gets a kick out of getting a reaction from her, very cute! I put her in the bumbo seat the other day and she seems to like sitting up, she's still a little wobbly but likes the view she has. I will try to get a video of her in it soon and of her talking up a storm.

Well, I'm starting to understand the worry that my own mother has endured for over 36 years with me and my sister. You can't seem to stop yourself even if you want to.

I worry about my babies....

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I saw a segment on the Today Show a few weeks back about the attention kids get according to birth order, and one of the things they found was that the oldest child continues to get the most attention, even after other children are born. Maybe it's because, like you say here, they're able to demand it? Somehow everyone turns out fine in the end.

Some days I would like to have another child, and some days I think we should just be thankful to have Carter and stop here. It's appealing, especially when I see friends with more than one child struggling to maintain their sanity and to satisfy everyone. OTOH I always imagined having two children. I don't know what we'll do...

Debby said...

Just to let you know.....I still worry about you and now my grandchildren. That just goes with the territory..I would not trade that for anything. There is such a special love that a mother has for her child. Just enjoy and follow your heart...Love you Nana B (mom)